Wednesday, July 31, 2013

More than Proverbs 31


One of the new things going around the Christian lady's news feed (hopefully) is the adage "I'd rather be a Proverbs 31 woman than a Victoria's secret model."

You know, before I got married, I fervently prayed that with Christ's help, I could direct my life in the way of the woman described in Proverbs 31. I wanted to be that perfect little Christian housewife: spotless house, clean, mended clothes for my family, making scrumptious meals for them to eat, all the while looking my best and keeping my emotions and will in tact.

I have to say, I haven't got far. I've been married for over 8 months now. I do keep a near spotless house - or I attempt to - but as far as everything else, I fall short. 

They say the first year is the hardest. I know I don't have much to go on, but at this point I have to agree. Within the first 3 weeks of our wedding, life through us a curve-ball that we weren't expecting. We felt ill-equipped to deal and didn't want to get back in the batter's box. It didn't take us long to realize that our marriage counselors gave us some of the best advice we could have been given. We began to pray and study together. We talked about our faith, our family, and what was going on. We listened to each other, validated each other's feelings, and stopped playing the blame game And you know what? We made it. 


That's when I realized I was more than a cook, janitor, worker, provider, and all the other things Proverbs 31 says I should be. 

My job isn't to only be my husband's best friend, it's to be his partner in our Christian journey.

That, my friends, is my number one priority as a wife - to make sure my husband gets to Heaven.


No comments: