Thursday, August 1, 2013

One Man's Junk


This past week, my dad I were were rummaging through some old stuff in his garage. We were making our greatest attempt at cleaning up his house and getting things in better order since my cousins moved in. Dad isn't really much of a pack rat, but the rest of my family is. And with my dad having the biggest house (not to mention a huge storage building as big as our basement next door) a lot of my family's unneeded or storable things end up at his house.

Now, if y'all didn't know by now, I'm a sucker for photography. I'm not great at it, but I do have a great appreciation and love for it and those who create. Dad goes to throw something in the trash and somehow out of the corner of my eye I see - in bold red lettering - "KODAK". I shuffled over to him and said "Hold it." 


In his hands, he held two aged yellow boxes with some mold growing around it. Who in their right mind would keep such a thing? Obviously not dad, but he let me have them anyway. I sit down on his front steps and examine the box.


I couldn't believe my eyes. So I opened the boxes. Two bulky cartridges sat in my hands. Both damaged - one worse than the other. 


 

Dad proceeds to tell me that they belonged to my uncle who passed away almost three years ago. I'm pretty sentimental, so of course I kept them.

Upon further examination, I realized that all the footage had been exposed. I can't help but be curious as to what's on this film. The film itself is older than my dad, my uncle, or any of their siblings. Through some research I've found that there is no known method around to develop it, unfortunately.

Could it be something to do with my great grandmother that I never got to meet? Maybe, maybe not.  It's a good possibility that it was something that my uncle found and decided he'd keep. He was a notorious pack rat. Any other way, I feel like I have a part of history, a part of him, a part of myself and a whole lot of mystery among the three. I think the mystery of all it is what makes it so beautiful to me.

No comments: